Online Master of Arts (ABA)
The MA degree in Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) is designed for students seeking to become a well-trained Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA) through an efficient and high-quality program.
This biblically centered program equips professionals with teaching and intervention skills based on ABA principles. ABA is the most research-supported scientific treatment for autism and is highly effective for individuals with other disabilities as well.
Why Applied Behavior Analysis?
- Best research-supported scientific treatment for autism
- Effective for individuals with other disabilities as well
- Demonstrated to be effective in many areas including:
- Communication, social, self-help, play, and work skills
- Reading and other academic skills
- Positive and safe behaviors
- Family life
- First Christian university worldwide to offer a program, with extensive autism training, verified to meet BCBA exam coursework requirements
- May be started in any semester and completed in as few as five semesters
- 7-week courses
- 50% tuition discount for educators working in Christian schools
- The Association for Behavior Analysis International has verified the courses listed below toward the coursework requirements for eligibility to take the Board Certified Behavior Analyst examination. Applicants will need to meet additional requirements before they can be deemed eligible to take the examination
- Must meet additional fieldwork requirements to be eligible for the BCBA exam. Visit bacb.com for details and other requirements.
- The 5th edition BCBA exam will be available starting January 2022.
- Completion of program requirements leads to a master of arts degree but not certification in behavior analysis or special education.
- Students are responsible for verifying if the program meets the ABA licensing or certification requirements of the state and/or country where they intend to practice.
- BCBA exam pass-rate data are not published for sequences with fewer than six first-time candidates in a single year or for sequences within their first four years of operation.
- Become a behavior analyst and enter a profession in high demand in the U.S. and globally
- Apply ABA in diverse fields such as education, autism, and developmental disabilities
- Work in schools, residential and home programs, clinics, hospitals, and other settings
- Develop Christian services and ministries for individuals with autism and their families
Typical Program Curriculum
|Semester||30 Total Credits = 24 Required Credits + 6 Bible/Theology Credits + Comprehensive Exam|
|Fall #1||SPE 721 ABA for Autism and Other Disabilities I (S1)
SPE 722 ABA for Autism and Other Disabilities II (S2)
|Spring #1||SPE 725 Principles of Behavior (S1)
SPE 723 Interventions for Autism/Other Disabilities (S2)
|Summer #1||SPE 728 Ethics for Behavior Analysts (S1)
SPE 726 Secondary Transition Assessment and Intervention (1 cr.) (S2)
SPE 727 Supervision and Management (2 cr.) (S2)
|Fall #2||SPE 724 Single Subject Research (S1)
SPE 661 Foundations of Special Education (S2)
|Spring #2||THE 601 Overview of Christian Theology (S1)
BIB 621 Biblical Integration for Educators (S2)
SPE 790 Special Education Comprehensive Exam
S1 = first 7-week session; S2 = second 7-week session
To enter the program, the candidate will:
- Apply and complete Cairn University’s Graduate Program enrollment process
- Hold a bachelor’s degree (with a cumulative GPA of 3.0) from an accredited college, university, or seminary
To complete the program, the candidate will:
- Successfully complete all required coursework with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 and pass the comprehensive exam
For more information about the online Master of Arts (ABA) degree, contact Kristina O’Connell, admissions counselor, at email@example.com.
“In my favorite class, I learned many different interventions and had a lot of hands-on assignments such as making our own work bin activity. The interventions were what I had seen during my practicum at an autism clinic and I had wanted to learn more about them. This practical course helped to bring everything together and gave me great confidence in using them.”