Parents of current students are a key part of the Cairn University community. This page is a way for you, the parents of our students, to stay connected to the University throughout your student’s education. Here you will find things that we consider most helpful to you. We encourage you to follow us on social media, sign up for the parent newsletter, and stay informed with what is happening on campus.
Information for New Parents
Congratulations! Your student is headed to Cairn University for a solid, biblically-centered education. Here are some suggestions for you as you prepare for this life change:
- Make travel arrangements to have your student on campus in time for Student Welcome and Orientation.
- Check the packing list and plan for any items you need
- Discuss the academic year and whether or not your student will be coming home during breaks. If so, how will they get home? When would you like them to let you know this?
- Have a conversation with your student about how often they want to check in with you and how? Be prepared for a change in how frequently you hear “how things are going.”
- Have a conversation about money and help your students set up a budget. Suggest a simple emergency fund (perhaps a few hundred dollars) that would be good for a student to have just in case.
- Talk about simple supplies (toiletries, books, snacks, fees of any kind) and clarify your expectations of who will be paying for what.
- Discuss healthy eating, sleeping, recreation, exercise and general lifestyle habits. Make suggestions for how your student can ensure they stay well, and what they can do if they have a problem.
- Discuss employment: Are your expectations that your student will work or not work? View on-campus job openings for students.
- Mark your calendar for Homecoming. This is the time for parents and other members of the Cairn community to come to campus and see what Cairn is all about.
- Perhaps most importantly, commit to praying regularly for your new student in this exciting new life stage.
Frequently Asked Questions
Most beds are standard twin size. There are several XL twin beds upon request and availability. Students entering into rooms with XL beds will be notified to plan accordingly.
You can view a list of local hotels here. Sheraton Bucks County Hotel and Courtyard by Marriott—Langhorne offer a special discount rate. Just mention “Cairn University” when making your registration. (Discount is based upon hotel occupancy and may fluctuate.)
Students attending Cairn for the first time move into their residence hall during Student Welcome and Orientation, although fall athletes arrive earlier. Contact your student’s coach for information about move-in dates for fall athletes. Returning students are notified of their move-in date during the summer break.
In order to adequately prepare the residence halls and campus for your arrival, students are not permitted to move in until the move in date specified.
Don’t worry! There are plenty of places just a few minutes away where you can pick up some last-minute dorm room essentials and school supplies.
- Lowes – 1400 Lincoln Hwy, Langhorne, PA 19047
- Target – 2331 Lincoln Hwy, Langhorne, PA 19047
- Home Depot – 900 Rock Hill Dr, Bensalem, PA 19020
- Wal Mart – 3461 Horizon Blvd, Feasterville-Trevose, PA 19053
- Bed Bath & Beyond – 20 West Road, Newtown, PA 18940
Cairn University is a residential campus. There are specific requirements to live off-campus, the most common being a student commuting from his/her legal guardians’ permanent home address. Exemption applications are only available each spring semester for students to apply to live off-campus the following academic year.
Yes, you simply mail your item to the student by name at the school address: 200 Manor Ave Langhorne, PA 19047 Please do not list a mailbox number; the mailroom will deliver based on student name.
Location & Transportation
Langhorne is a suburb of Philadelphia with speedy access to the beaches of New Jersey, the mountains of Pennsylvania, state parks, quaint shops and towns, and several major cities. For more information, see our Philadelphia and Bucks County webpage.
Health & Safety
Your student can visit a full-time registered nurse on campus, and the University Health Center provides a variety of support and services. The nurse will refer a student to a local Urgent Care or hospital should he/she need additional care.
Cairn University sees the safety of our students, faculty, staff, and visitors as a top priority. The Office of Safety and Security has regular staff on campus 24 hours per day, and their help is just a phone call away for students. Additionally, the University enjoys long-standing relationships with local first responders. For more information, visit the Office of Safety and Security webpage.
Paying for College
The Academic Resource Center offers a variety of tutorials on subjects like time management, study skills, and note taking. Students can also schedule a one on one meeting with a tutor, and mentoring is available. The ARC also provides disability services for all ADA-qualified students.
Both federal law and University policy protect the privacy of student education records, including but not limited to, academic records, financial information, and disciplinary actions. Once a student attends a postsecondary institution, the rights regarding those records shift from the parents to the student, regardless of the age of the student. This means that in most circumstances, Cairn is not permitted to disclose education records to anyone, including parents, without the written permission of the student.
If your student wishes to waive these rights and specify who may access his/her education records, he/she may complete and sign a Waiver of Privacy of Education Records form.
Yes, every student is assigned to a faculty member in their school.
Cairn is a NCAA Division III school and part of the Colonial States Athletic Conference (CSAC) with competitive men’s and women’s programs.
If you have additional questions or other needs, please contact email@example.com.