Special Education (PK–12)
Maximize your capacity to engage special education and special needs students in enriched and meaningful skill development and growth in all areas of life.
Why Study Special Education (PK–12)?
Teachers with special education certification are in high demand as general educators or special educators in inclusive or more restrictive classrooms. Those who study special education gain expert knowledge on the best practices to significantly impact the lives of K–12 students who have special needs.
Why Study Special Education (PK–12) at Cairn?
- Be eligible for the PA Special Education PK–12 Certification and the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) K–12 Special Education certificate.
- Learn how to effectively teach and care for those with mild to severe disabilities.
- Build a strong teaching foundation through coursework.
- Take two courses based on Applied Behavior Analysis, the most research-supported scientific treatment for autism, which is also highly effective for working with individuals with other disabilities and behavioral issues.
- Take a combination of online and face-to-face classes, providing greater schedule flexibility.
- Complete up to 200 hours of integrated special education field experience and practicums prior to preservice teaching.
- Special Education Teacher
- Autistic Classroom Teacher
- Work in public, charter, Christian, or other private schools