Organizations of all kinds increasingly rely on software-based solutions. As entrepreneurial and leadership opportunities in the field increase, employers seek expertise in both software development and business processes, ranging from agile project management to accounting and ERP systems. Through Cairn’s computer science major, you’ll develop the knowledge for a career in software development and the business skills required by the tech jobs of today.
Why Study Computer Science?
Computer science opens doors to a variety of careers in software development—a skill increasingly relied upon by organizations across all segments of society. In today’s highly competitive and technology-driven economy, job opportunities abound in corporate, entrepreneurial, nonprofit, and ministry settings. Computer science is one of the top two highest-paying fields for recent college graduates (according to payscale.com), as well as one of the fastest-growing. Majoring in computer science prepares students through coursework in mathematics, database design concepts, the internet of things, cybersecurity, and more.
Why Study Computer Science at Cairn?
- Earn a bachelor’s degree and an MBA in as few as five years, all while qualifying for undergraduate financial aid.
- Distinguished by a unique blend of theory and business application, Cairn’s computer science program is continually updated to reflect present industry conditions. Students practice the same hands-on tasks regularly faced by professionals in the workplace.
- Through both biblical integration and a business emphasis, courses highlight the relationships between hardware, software, and people.
- Upper-level courses focus on the daily operations of a simulated company, providing a coherent theme closely resembling the software needs of a typical business environment.
- Students will graduate with a portfolio of professional-level projects they can showcase to future employers. A capstone or internship project will carry skills from the classroom to the workplace.
- Small class sizes enable personalized mentorship and meaningful relationships with professors, who have decades of industry experience.
- Software engineer
- Web developer
- Java developer
- Backend developer
- App programmer
- Database administrator
- Business systems analyst
- Programmer analyst