Associate Professor of New Testament, School of Divinity
- PhD, The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
- ThM, The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
- MDiv, Detroit Baptist Theological Seminary
- BS, Maranatha Baptist University
Kevin McFadden teaches New Testament courses at the undergraduate and graduate level. Before coming to Cairn he studied New Testament Interpretation at Southern Seminary and taught for three years in the Christian Studies department at Louisiana College. He is originally from Michigan.
One of his most formative experiences was a mission trip through Inter-City Baptist Church to Tanzania where he saw the sufficiency of Scripture in action as God used his word to build up his people. Another was a pastoral internship at Capitol Hill Baptist Church where he understood more clearly that the gospel teaches us that people are saved by faith in Jesus Christ and not by what we do.
His main role at Cairn is teaching students how to read Greek in order to better understand and interpret the New Testament. His thoughts about the importance of learning the original languages of the Bible can be read here. He is currently working on a book about faith in Pauline theology. He and his wife Colleen are members at Seven Mile Road Church in Northeast Philadelphia.
Academic Specialties & Interests:
- Pauline Theology
- Hellenistic Greek
- “Does Πίστις Mean ‘Faith(fulness)’ in Paul?” Tyndale Bulletin 66.2 (2015): 251-70.
- Judgment According to Work in Romans: The Meaning and Function of Divine Judgment in Paul’s Most Important Letter. Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2013.
- “The Fulfillment of the Law’s Dikaioma: Another Look at Romans 8:1-4.” Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 52/3 (2009): 483-97.
- “Biblical Theology according to the Earliest Christians: How Paul Told the Story of Israel” Evangelical Theological Society (Atlanta, GA), 2015.
- “Biblical Theology according to the Earliest Christians: How Paul Told the Story of Abraham” Evangelical Theological Society (San Diego, CA), 2014.
- “Can Πίστις Mean ‘Faith’ and ‘Faithfulness’ at the Same Time?” Evangelical Theological Society (Baltimore, MD), 2013.
- “The Function of Romans 2:13.” Evangelical Theological Society (Atlanta, GA), 2010.
- “Relative Time and the Greek Participle.” Society of Biblical Literature Poster section (New Orleans, LA), 2009.
- “The Inability of the Law and the Fulfillment of Its Righteous Requirement.” Evangelical Theological Society (Providence, RI), 2008.
Teaching at Cairn since 2013