Adjunct Faculty, School of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- MA, The John Hopkins University
- MDiv, New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary
- BA, Louisiana State University
Mr. Douglas Baker teaches politics courses at the University. He has served on the executive staff of five Governors across two decades as well as consultation with The White House and other federal cabinet agencies. As Special Assistant to former AR Governor Mike Huckabee, he assisted the Governor in his communications office and led efforts for Gov. Huckabee’s notable economic development initiative – From Fiber Optics to Fly-fishing. Baker later served in the Office of the President and Provost of Union University and as a key leader in the corporate relations division of the United States Naval Academy Foundation.
Returning to his home state of Louisiana during the second term of Gov. Bobby Jindal, Baker led policy and communications work for tax reform, technology advancements for budgeting across eleven state agencies, and helped to advance a government efficiency project for Gov. Jindal resulting in more than $2 billion in savings over five years. His work at the US Leadership Foundation focuses on education reform and advancement for poor and at-risk students in urban and rural communities across the nation.
Academic Specialties & Interests:
- Governors and the Federal System
- The Federal Bureaucracy and State Government
- The Political Theory of St. Augustine
- Federal and State Tax Reform
- Charter Schools and the Future of American Education
Awards & Honors:
- Two-time recipient of the Governor’s Award for Outstanding Achievement
Teaching at Cairn since 2019