Instructor, School of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- BFA, Temple University, Tyler School of Art
- AD, Antonelli Institute of Art, Commercial Art and Illustration
Instructor Matthew Stemler teaches drawing, painting, foundations of design, typography, Adobe Photoshop, and digital photography at Cairn. He also writes curriculum to further develop the visual arts program and organizes exhibits in the Connie A. Eastburn Gallery.
Prior to teaching at Cairn, Matt taught high school fine arts for 19 years in Erdenheim, PA, where he was also the fine arts department coordinator overseeing major annual fine arts events and establishing direction in the arts program.
Matt is a practicing artist and installations designed by him use engineered structures and delicate effects to create contemplative spaces. Many sculptural objects are accented with mechanical components evocative of a farmers the inclination to tinker, adjust and invent. He also draws in charcoal or colorful combinations of watercolor with chalk pastel. These drawings investigate mark-making through dense layers of diverse textures and forms. Exhibitions of his work include the James A. Michener Art Museum, The Myrtle Gallery and Art in City Hall. Matthew’s installations have been exhibited at the Eastern State Penitentiary Museum and the LGTripp Gallery. His work can also be viewed at matthewstemler.com.
He is a member of the Fine Arts Festival Visual Arts Team for the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) Lancaster, PA. Matt supervises categories and art assessment standards for the event and manages the judges and judging criteria for art work.
Academic Specialties & Interests:
- Graphic design with interest in illustration and digital design and imagery
- Studio arts with a focus on installation sculpture, painting, drawing and incorporating contemporary approaches to art making
Awards and Honors:
- Community Spirit Award – Rotary Club Of Springfield Township
- Honorable Mention, AAC, Annual Juried Exhibition Juror: G. Roger Denson
- Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers
- Tyler Portfolio
- Award Antonelli Award for Excellence
- Holy Family University, Philadelphia, PA (2015)
- Waynesburg University, Waynesburg, PA (2014)
- LGTripp Gallery, Philadelphia, PA (Installation ‘Flotsam’ and drawings) (2011)
- Epiphany Fellowship, Philadelphia, PA (2010)
Selected Group Exhibitions
- Almond Branch Initiative 2012 DAS:BAM Philadelphia, PA (2016)
- Philadelphia Salon at 1 Presidential Boulevard (2010)
- Philadelphia Sculptor ‘Between the Covers’ book sculpture (2010)
- Art in City Hall- Anniversary Show (2005)
- Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) – Fine Arts Festival Visual Arts Team
Teaching at Cairn since 2016