Co-Chair, Visual Arts Department; Gallery Collection Curator; Assistant Professor, School of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- BFA, Temple University, Tyler School of Art
- AD, Antonelli Institute of Art, Commercial Art and Illustration
Matt Stemler teaches drawing, painting, foundations of design, typography, Adobe Photoshop, and digital photography at Cairn. He also writes curriculum to further develop the visual arts program and, as Gallery Collection Curator, organizes exhibits in the Connie A. Eastburn Gallery.
Prior to teaching at Cairn, Matt taught fine arts at the high school level for 19 years in Erdenheim, PA. There he also served as the fine arts department coordinator, overseeing annual arts events and establishing direction for the arts program.
As a practicing artist, his installations use engineered structures and delicate effects to create contemplative spaces. Many of his sculptural objects are accented with mechanical components that resemble a farmer’s inclination to tinker, adjust, and invent. He also draws in charcoal and colorful combinations of watercolor with chalk pastel. These drawings investigate mark-making through layers of diverse textures and forms. His work has been featured in venues such as the James A. Michener Art Museum, The Myrtle Gallery, Art in City Hall, the Eastern State Penitentiary Museum, and the LGTripp Gallery. His pieces can also be viewed at matthewstemler.com.
Matt is a member of the Fine Arts Festival Visual Arts Team for the Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) in Lancaster, PA. For this event he supervises art assessment standards and manages the judging process for the artwork.
Academic Specialties & Interests:
- Graphic design with an interest in illustration, digital design, and imagery
- Studio arts with a focus on installation sculpture, painting, and drawing
- Incorporating contemporary approaches to art-making
Awards and Honors:
- Community Spirit Award – Rotary Club Of Springfield Township
- Honorable Mention, AAC, Annual Juried Exhibition Juror: G. Roger Denson
- Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers
- Tyler Portfolio
- Award Antonelli Award for Excellence
- Holy Family University, Philadelphia, PA (2015)
- Waynesburg University, Waynesburg, PA (2014)
- LGTripp Gallery, Philadelphia, PA (Installation ‘Flotsam’ and drawings) (2011)
- Epiphany Fellowship, Philadelphia, PA (2010)
Selected Group Exhibitions:
- Almond Branch Initiative 2012 DAS:BAM Philadelphia, PA (2016)
- Philadelphia Salon at 1 Presidential Boulevard (2010)
- Philadelphia Sculptor ‘Between the Covers’ book sculpture (2010)
- Art in City Hall- Anniversary Show (2005)
- Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) – Fine Arts Festival Visual Arts Team
Teaching at Cairn since 2016