Professor of Old Testament, School of Divinity
- PhD, Dallas Theological Seminary
- ThM, Dallas Theological Seminary
- BS in Bible, Cairn University
- Post-graduate studies in biblical Hebrew, University of Pennsylvania
- Post-graduate studies in biblical Aramaic, Westminster Theological Seminary
Gary Schnittjer teaches biblical Hebrew and Old Testament for the School of Divinity at Cairn University. He is author of The Torah Story and the associated Video Lectures (both with Zondervan), an exegetical commentary on Ezra-Nehemiah (forthcoming from Kregel), and articles on “Bad Ending of Ezra-Nehemiah” (Bibliotheca Sacra) and “Idolatry in Isaiah” (Credo), and others.
Schnittjer frequently presents at academic conferences and is presently researching a reference work on the Old Testament for Zondervan. Schnittjer serves on the steering committee of the Old Testament Narrative Study Section of the Evangelical Theological Society. He offers a free subscription service of verses from the Hebrew Bible daily at HebrewDaybyDay.com and maintains ScriptureWorskshop.com which houses free resources for students and ministers of the word.
- Evangelical Theological Society
- Institute of Biblical Research
- Society of Biblical Literature
- The Torah Story
- The Torah Story Video Lectures (available for streaming)
- Exegetical commentary on Ezra-Nehemiah for pastors, Kregel (forthcoming)
- “Blessing of Judah as a Breeding Ground for Scriptural Expectations” (forthcoming in Bibliotheca Sacra)
- “Individual versus Collective Retribution in the Chronicler’s Ideology of Exile” (Journal of Biblical and Theological Studies)
- “The Bad Ending of Ezra-Nehemiah” (Bibliotheca Sacra)
- “Idolatry in Isaiah” (Credo Magazine)
- Articles & book reviews appear in Bibliotheca Sacra, Christian Education Journal, Credo Magazine, Journal for the Evangelical Study of the Old Testament, Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society, and Westminster Theological Journal.
Teaching at Cairn since 1997