Chair, Special Education Department; Associate Professor, School of Education
- EdD in Reading, Nova Southeastern University
- MEd in Multicultural Education, Eastern University
- MA in Religion, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
- BA, MS in Computer Science, Southern Illinois University
- Behavioral Intervention in Autism Certificate for BCBA Preparation, University of Massachusetts
- Certifications: Special Education, Reading Specialist, Elementary Education, ESL Program Specialist
- Board Certified Behavior Analyst; Licensed Behavior Specialist
Dr. Chung serves as Chair of the Special Education Department and teaches courses in special education and applied behavior analysis including behavioral intervention in autism, behavioral and instructional systems for autism support, high incidence disabilities, and research.
During her initial years at Cairn, God impressed a passion upon her heart for Christians globally to embrace the vision for special education and ministry to individuals with disabilities in Christ’s name. Inspired by this passion, she collaborated with her husband, Dr. Walter Chung, to initiate Cairn’s online Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA) programs, which integrate extensive autism training as well as offer intensive practicum courses. Cairn is the first Christian university worldwide to offer BCBA programs with these features. In addition to teaching at Cairn, Dr. Chung also serves as a reviewer for professional journals including Teacher Education Quarterly, Educational Psychology, and The Asia-Pacific Education Researcher.
Prior to joining Cairn, Dr. Chung taught in public and private schools in various capacities, including reading specialist, special education teacher, elementary teacher, and preschool teacher. She has also taught as an adjunct faculty member at Eastern University for several years. Dr. Chung previously served as a campus minister until she received God’s surprising and distinct call to become an educator.
Academic Specialties & Interests:
- Chung, W., & Chung, S. (2016). Women don’t like nice guys – Dating, attraction and Christian values: Teaching our young people how to fall in love. Testamentum Imperium, 5, 2-13.
- Chung, W., Chung, S., Edgar-Smith, S., Palmer, R. B., DeLambo, D., & Huang, W. (2015). “An Examination of In-service Teacher Attitudes Toward Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder: Implications for Professional Practice.” Current Issues in Education, 18(2), 1-9
- Chung, S. (2012). “Research-based vocabulary instruction for English language learners.” Reading Matrix, 12(2), 105-120.
- Chung, S., & Chung, W. (2011). “A Life of Celebration.” Ambassadors, 54(6), 39-43.
- Chung, S. (2008). “Behind Every Face Is a Story: Centering Students’ Voices.” In J. Landis and P. Daley (Eds.), Teaching for Change: Voices of Empowerment & Transformation. (Pg. 119-143.) Bloomington, IN: Pen & Publish.
- Chung, S., & Chung, W. (2008). “Encountering God in Dry Seasons of Prayer.” Proclaim, 21, 51-56.
- Chung, W., and Chung, S. (1995). “True Worship.” Proclaim, 21, 54-56.
- Chung, W., & Chung, S. (1994). “Our Identity: Who Am I?” Ambassadors, 37(3), 4-8.
- “Antecedent Intervention for Optimizing Sleeping Behavior and Medication of Adult with Developmental Disabilities.” Eastern Psychological Association Conference, 2015. (Co-presenter)
- “Optimizing the Use of Psychotropic Medications via Comprehensive Behavior Intervention Among Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders.” National Autism Conference, 2013. (Co-presenter)
- “Effectiveness of a Comprehensive Behavioral Intervention Program in Reducing Maladaptive Behaviors and Optimizing the Psychotropic Medication of an Adult Female with Autism.” Autism New Jersey Annual Autism Conference, 2012. (Co-presenter)
- “Developing and Testing a Measure of K-5 Teacher Dyslexia Knowledge: A Mixed Methods Study.” Conference on Global Leadership, Learning, and Research, 2012.
- “Secondary to Postsecondary Transition of a Student with High-Functioning ASD.” ABAI Autism Conference, 2012. (Co-presenter)
- “Teacher Perception of Students with Autism.” ABAI Autism Conference, 2012. (Co-presenter)
Teaching at Cairn since 2013