Chair, Graduate Education Programs, School of Education
- EdD, Seattle Pacific University (Curriculum & Instruction)
- MEd, Southern Oregon University
- BA, Pepperdine University
Dr. Laura McCollum is the chair of graduate education programs at Cairn University. She has extensive teaching experience in both on-ground and online instructional environments. She also has expertise in curriculum/program design, assessment/evaluation and various levels/types of accreditation.
Dr. McCollum has broad experiences in education. She has been both a teacher and an administrator in both public and private K-12 education, and she is certified in California, Oregon, and Washington State. Dr. McCollum also has seasoned experience in Christian higher education as well, teaching as an adjunct professor at Simpson University and Seattle Pacific University. She was also the director of assessment at Oklahoma-Wesleyan University, the chairman for all teacher education programs for National University in Redding, CA. She was also the academic dean and vice president for institutional effectiveness at Patrick Henry College in VA. Before beginning her position at the University, Dr. McCollum was the upper school principal and director for institutional effectiveness at Trinity Christian School in Fairfax, VA.
Dr. Laura McCollum has been married to Dr. Steve McCollum, director of choral studies, for over 20 years. Together they have two children.
Academic Specialties & Interests:
- Philosophy of Education
- Curriculum Design
- Christian Higher Education
- Kappa Delta Pi (Education Honor Society)
- Society for Classical Learning
- Association for Institutional Research
- Virginia Assessment Group
- Association of Classical Christian Schools
- Shasta County Even Start Consortium (board member)
- Professional Education Advisory Board, Seattle Pacific
Select Publications and Presentations:
- (June 2012) “LinkedIn: Using the platform to assess students’ social/career development throughout their Internship”- Concurrent session at the Association for the Assessment of Learning in Higher Education (AALHE) National Conference.
- (February 2012) “Fidelity to Mission/Vision: The Key to Authentic School Improvement”- Concurrent session at the AdvancEd/SACS-CASI (Southern Association of Colleges & Schools-Council on Accreditation & School Improvement) Regional Conference, Williamsburg, VA.
- “Optimizing Effectiveness in IR,” National Association of Institutional Research Forum, June 2010
- Fidelity to Mission: The Key to Authentic School Improvement; presented at AdvancEd/SACS-CASI Regional Conference, Williamsburg, 2012
- VITA: a Tool to Promote Robust and Authentic Integration of Institution-Wide Strategic Planning, Assessment and Budgeting; presented at Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) National Conference, 2011
- Educational Quality Judgments: Navigating Transfer of Credit through Technology, Learning Outcomes, and Data; presented at Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) National Conference, 2010
- The Bermuda Triangle of Accreditation: How to Triangulate Strategic Planning, Budgeting and Assessment to Chart a Mission-Driven Course; presented at National Association of Institutional Research National Conference, 2010
- Reducing Friction: the Proper Relationship between Governance and Assessment; presented at Virginia Assessment Group Conference, 2009
Teaching at Cairn since 2018