In addition to pursuing an MS in Educational Leadership and Administration degree at Cairn, students can pursue principal certification from Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) and/or the Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE).
Online coursework in the degree program is combined with extensive hands-on access to the life of PK-12 schools. Fifteen-hour field experiences in each specialization course allows students to gain experience in administrative leadership, data management and technology integration, finance and business management, application of school law, and organizational theory and team building. Students will be able to complete academic requirements while still attending to their professional responsibilities at their own school sites.
Candidates can be recommended to the PDE for Principal PK-12 certification* upon completion of the following:
- Successful completion of the MS in Educational Leadership and administration degree program, related field experiences embedded into EDL specialization courses, and a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above
- Completion of EDL 784 Educational Leadership Internship, a yearlong experience in PK-12 schools under the supervision of a state-certified administrative mentor
- A passing score on the PA School Leadership Licensure Assessment (ETS Praxis exam) – test code: 6990; passing score: 151 (current as of February 2020)
- Three years of teaching experience at the time of application for certification
- Submission of an application on TIMS (Teacher Information Management System), in conjunction with the School of Education Logistics and Certification Officer
Candidates can be recommended to ACSI for Principal K-12 certification upon completion of the following:
- Successful completion of the MS in Educational Leadership and administration degree and related field experiences embedded into EDL specialization courses
- Completion of EDL 784 Educational Leadership Internship, a yearlong supervised experience in PK-12 schools.**
- Submission of an application on ACSI’s website, in coordination with the School of Education Logistics and Certification Officer.
*Cairn’s principal program is approved by the PA Department of Education and is designed to meet PA Department of Education competencies for PK-12 principals. Completion of Cairn’s principal certification program allows the student to be eligible for certification in Pennsylvania. We cannot confirm whether this program meets the requirements for certification in states other than Pennsylvania. Interested students may contact the Department of Education in their state to inquire about their requirements.
**ACSI notes: “The student teaching requirement can be waived via a letter from your supervisor stating you have performed the full duties of a classroom teacher (or administrator) for at least 2 years full-time at the elementary and secondary levels or a K-12 school [kindergarten (age 5) through grade 12].”
For more information about principal certification and the online MS in Educational Leadership & Administration degree program, email firstname.lastname@example.org.