Master of Social Work
Based on a foundational belief that each person is created in the image of God and motivated by a commitment to holistic human reconciliation, the Cairn MSW program prepares advanced level social workers for grace-driven, relationship-based practice with individuals and families.
In the context of a biblical worldview, grounded in evidence-based, person-in-environment, generalist practice, and multidimensional assessment frameworks, the program prepares students with the innovative use of online technology to demonstrate competency, empathy, and integrity serving all those in need and advocating for social change to enhance the quality of life and promote justice locally and globally.
This program has been formally approved by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) to apply for accreditation and is now in Candidacy Status. If accreditation is granted, it will be retroactive to Fall 2020.
Standard Completion Time
Field Practicum Hours
- Take courses 100% online in 7-week modules.
- Participate in a weekly practicum, and graduate with over 900 hours of master’s level field practicum experience
- Learn the best practices of social work from a biblical perspective
- Regularly interact with faculty through live web conferencing and online forums
- Prepare and be eligible for licensed social work and licensed clinical social work
- Study under those who are committed to your spiritual and professional development
*Beginning in Fall 2021, Advanced Standing will be available to students who graduated from CSWE-accredited BSW program. Students with Advanced Standing will be able to complete the MSW in as few as 16 months, with 36 credit hours and 500 field practicum hours. An additional six credits of Advanced Standing for Bible/theology credits are also available to qualified students.
To enter the program, the candidate will:
- Apply and complete Cairn University’s Graduate Program enrollment process
- Hold a bachelor’s degree with a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA (provisional status from 2.5 to 2.99) from an accredited undergraduate institution and submit proof in the form of official transcripts
To complete the program, the candidate will:
- Successfully complete all required coursework with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Successfully complete required practicum hours
For more information about applying to the Master of Social Work degree program, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Typical Program Curriculum
|Fall #1||Social Work Foundations (3 cr.)
The Helping Relationship (3 cr.)
Human Behavior and the Social Environment (3 cr.)
Foundation Practicum I (2 cr.)
|Spring #1||Foundation Practice with Individuals, Families, and Groups (3 cr.)
Foundation Practicum II (2 cr.)
Foundation Practice with Organizations & Communities (3 cr.)
Foundation Practicum III (2 cr.)
|Summer #1||Diversity, Oppression, and Empowerment (3 cr.)|
|Fall #2||Social Research (3 cr.)
Social Policy and Advocacy (3 cr.)
Advanced Standing Orientation (3 cr.)
Multidimensional Psychopathology Assessment (3 cr.)
Advanced Practicum I (2 cr.)
Advanced Practice Research I (1 cr.)
|Spring #2||Advanced Practice Theories with Individuals and Families (3 cr.)
Advanced Practicum II (2 cr.)
Advanced Practice Research II (1 cr.)
Advanced Practice Interventions with Individuals and Families (3 cr.)
Advanced Practicum III (2 cr.)
Advanced Practice Research III (1 cr.)
|Summer #2||Overview of Christian Theology (3 cr.)|
|Fall #3||Individual and Family Practice Policy (3 cr.)
Special Topics Elective (3 cr.)
MSW Capstone (3 cr.)
Theology Elective (3 cr.)