Associate Professor; Chair of Special Education Department, School of Education
- EdD in Reading, Nova Southeastern University
- MEd in Multicultural Education, Eastern University
- MA in Religion, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
- BA, MS in Computer Science, Southern Illinois University
- Behavioral Intervention in Autism Certificate for BCBA Preparation, University of Massachusetts
- Faculty Approved by the Behavior Analyst Certification Board
- Certifications: Special Education, Reading Specialist, Elementary Education, ESL Program Specialist
Dr. Chung teaches courses in special education, applied behavior analysis, autism education, and educational research. In addition, she also serves as a reviewer for Teacher Education Quarterly and Educational Psychology.
Prior to joining Cairn University, Dr. Chung taught in various capacities, including reading specialist, special education teacher, elementary teacher, early childhood teacher, and adjunct faculty member at Eastern University. Before becoming an educator, her calling and passion were ministering to university students as a campus minister.
Academic Specialties & Interests:
Dyslexia, ADHD, Autism
- Chung, W., Chung, S., Edgar-Smith, S., Palmer, R. B., DeLambo, D., & Huang, W. (2015). “An Examination of In-service Teacher Attitudes Toward Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder: Implications for Professional Practice.” Current Issues in Education, 18(2), 1-9
- Chung, S. (2012). “Research-based vocabulary instruction for English language learners.” Reading Matrix, 12(2), 105-120.
- Chung, S., & Chung, W. (2011). “A Life of Celebration.” Ambassadors, 54(6), 39-43.
- Chung, S. (2008). “Behind Every Face Is a Story: Centering Students’ Voices.” In J. Landis and P. Daley (Eds.), Teaching for Change: Voices of Empowerment & Transformation. (Pg. 119-143.) Bloomington, IN: Pen & Publish.
- Chung, S., & Chung, W. (2008). “Encountering God in Dry Seasons of Prayer.” Proclaim, 21, 51-56.
- Chung, W., and Chung, S. (1995). “True Worship.” Proclaim, 21, 54-56.
- Chung, W., & Chung, S. (1994). “Our Identity: Who Am I?” Ambassadors, 37(3), 4-8.
- “Antecedent Intervention for Optimizing Sleeping Behavior and Medication of Adult with Developmental Disabilities.” Eastern Psychological Association Conference, 2015. (Co-presenter)
- “Optimizing the Use of Psychotropic Medications via Comprehensive Behavior Intervention Among Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders.” National Autism Conference, 2013. (Co-presenter)
- “Effectiveness of a Comprehensive Behavioral Intervention Program in Reducing Maladaptive Behaviors and Optimizing the Psychotropic Medication of an Adult Female with Autism.” Autism New Jersey Annual Autism Conference, 2012. (Co-presenter)
- “Developing and Testing a Measure of K-5 Teacher Dyslexia Knowledge: A Mixed Methods Study.” Conference on Global Leadership, Learning, and Research, 2012.
- “Secondary to Postsecondary Transition of a Student with High-Functioning ASD.” ABAI Autism Conference, 2012. (Co-presenter)
- “Teacher Perception of Students with Autism.” ABAI Autism Conference, 2012. (Co-presenter)
- To conduct, publish, and present research on dyslexia, ADHD, autism, and other disabilities
- To write a book on disabilities
Teaching at Cairn since 2013