Part-Time Faculty; Director of Student Teaching and Field Placement, School of Education
- M.S.Ed. in Educational Administration, Gwynedd-Mercy College
- M.Ed., English Education (Concentration in TESOL), Temple University
- B.S. in Secondary English Education, Taylor University
Professor Rivera has taught courses on special education, inclusionary practices, and cultural and linguistic diversity. She also oversees Cairn’s Urban Education Specialization, including students’ participation in the Philadelphia Urban Seminar every summer.
Before teaching at Cairn, Mrs. Rivera was a teacher and administrator in the School District of Philadelphia for 25 years.
Mrs. Rivera’s professional goals include becoming an educational consultant with The Coalition of Essential Schools’ school reform initiative, as well as continued international teaching opportunities.
Academic Specialties & Interests:
Urban education, Cultural and linguistic diversity
Affirming Diversity in the Multicultural School Environment: Attitudes and Perceptions of English Language Learners in One School Setting
- Researching family history
- Fan of American Idol, The Voice, and Downton Abbey
- Dreams of someday owning a vacation home in Puerto Rico
Teaching at Cairn since 2006